What number of no-hitters have been thrown in 2021? Brewers tandem units MLB report with newest
Baseball historical past in 2021 comes within the type of a giant, fats, zero.
That is as a result of, by this level within the MLB season, there have been 9 no-hitters thrown, a report for no-hitters in a season.
And whereas loads of groups and pitchers are comfortable to etch their names into historical past books, Cleveland now has undesirable recognition. The Ohio membership set a report by having a 3rd no-hitter thrown towards it this season. The most recent was a mixed effort by the Brewers’ Corbin Burnes and Josh Hader on Sept. 11.
All the pieces it’s good to know concerning the “Yr of the No-No” and extra is proper right here:
MORE: The newest no-hitter for all 30 MLB groups
What number of no-hitters have been thrown in 2021?
Thus far in 2021, 9 no-hitters have been thrown:
- The Padres’ Joe Musgrove kicked off no-no season on April 9 vs. the Rangers.
- White Sox starter Carlos Rodon downed division rival Cleveland on April 14.
- Baltimore hurler John Means no-hit the Mariners on Could 5.
- Reds starter Wade Miley scribbled his identify within the historical past books with the season’s second no-hitter vs. Cleveland on Could 7.
- The Tigers’ Spencer Turnbull no-hit Seattle on Could 18, the second time the Mariners have been no-hit this season.
- The Yankees’ Corey Kluber no-hit Texas the following evening, Could 19, the second time the Rangers have been no-hit this season.
- After a brief respite, Cubs pitchers Zach Davies, Ryan Tepera, Andrew Chafin and Craig Kimbrel mixed to throw a no-no vs. the Dodgers, tying the fashionable MLB report.
- Diamondbacks rookie left-hander Tyler Gilbert set the fashionable mark Aug. 14 when he no-hit the Padres in his first MLB begin.
- The Brewers’ Corbin Burnes and Josh Hader mixed to set the all-time mark as they zipped Cleveland on Sept. 11.
The MLB earlier report for no-hitters in a season was eight, which was set in 1884 and matched this yr.
To make this yr’s no-hitters extra spectacular, Musgrove, Rodon, Kluber and the Burnes-Hader tandem have been each batter away from good video games. Musgrove and Rodon hit batters (Rodon within the ninth) whereas Kluber and Burnes walked a batter.
There may very well be any variety of the explanation why there have been so many no-hitters this early within the season:
— Adjustments to the baseball was one of many hottest causes early on, with pitchers (and MLB) acknowledging that sure adjustments affected the flight of the ball, resulting in fewer residence runs and a extra stage taking part in subject for pitchers.
— Offensive ideologies that proceed to worth home-run-or-bust approaches on the plate and devalue contact, which, to be honest, are backed up by the stats. Nonetheless, batting common throughout MLB is exceptionally low, and that is not a terrific signal for offenses transferring ahead.
— Pitchers have been getting nastier and nastier, even when among the 9 no-nos thrown have been pitchers who haven’t got the perfect “stuff.”
Most no-hitters in a single MLB season
We have seen historical past in the course of the 2021 season.
The report for no-hitters thrown in a season is now 9, eclipsing the mark first set in 1884.
Most no-hitters towards a crew in a season
Cleveland set an undesirable report by being no-hit a 3rd time in 2021. The membership has been blanked by Carlos Rodon,Wade Miley and the duo of Corbin Burnes and Josh Hader.
There’s nonetheless time for the Rangers and Mariners to affix Cleveland on that checklist. The AL West golf equipment have each been no-hit twice.
When was the final good sport in MLB?
Whereas the aforementioned Musgrove, Rodon, Kluber and Burnes/Hader got here near penning the twenty fourth, twenty fifth, twenty sixth and twenty seventh good video games in MLB historical past, respectively, the baseball world should await the following.
Three of the seven no-hitters in 2012 have been good video games: White Sox right-hander Philip Humber, Giants right-hander Matt Cain and former Mariners nice Felix Hernandez every threw perfectos that season.
The 9 years between good video games is the longest wait in MLB historical past because the hole between Catfish Hunter’s in 1968 and Len Barker’s in 1981.